Monday, October 29, 2007

Mapquest

So, no particular city prompted me to post this but, I have a love-hate relationship with Mapquest. You can't live with it and you can't live without it. I've had so many incorrect directions due to Mapquest or at least directions that take me around town in a far complicated manner than necessary. It's almost like you trust the directions but based on previous experience with Mapquest you second guess the directions at the same time. And apparently it's not just Mapquest as I've now been in the car with 2 different friends with GPS and not much better luck at a higher out-of-pocket expense.

There is really only one show I keep up with on TV. STAY WITH ME...this still has to do with travel!! =) Due to the popularity of The Office among my team members at work, I got hooked (proof of adult peer pressure?). It's one of those shows so insanely dumb its hilarious. I don't own a TV so, I go to the gym and work out during the show (Yes, I go to workout at other times as well!). One episode this season had me in stiches due to my own pain with navigating to incompetent tools. Michael and Dwight were driving down a road and the GPS indicated they should turn right. Michael began to turn right while Dwight yelled at him that the GPS meant to turn at the approaching stop sign not right at that moment since there was a fence surrounding a lake off to the right. Michael ever so obedient to the GPS ignored Dwight and plunged right into the lake. Okay, maybe you would have had to watch it to find it funny...

But, one tip I would like to offer on Mapquest that I have found immensely helpful for Mapquest directions...ignore street names if possible. Use exit #'s, hwy #'s, etc. but, street names will drive you insane due to Mapquest assigning 4 names to a street of which you will only see one name, if even that.

No comments: