Monday, October 29, 2007

Austin...yawn!

After a week in Austin, I must say the city is seriously lacking in tourist attractions. After sharing the same sentiment with some locals, I found that I am not alone in that conclusion. Okay, let me restate my sentiment...unless you are into the art gallery, nightclub and/or bar scene (of which I am not)...there isn't alot to do in Austin.

I managed to visit the Bernard's church (New Life) as soon as I flew into town. I've always wanted to visit since I've heard so many good things about their church. It was nice to see the Bernards again. I also had dinner at the house of some of friends (UGST graduates) one night. It was great to spend some time with them.

I also walked and took some trolleys around downtown Austin including a tour of the Texas State Capitol. I wish I would have had my camera out in time...when I first arrived in front of the Capitol a rugged man stood out front with a huge cardboard sign marked with expletives about Bush and Republicans. He stood smiling and waving at the passing traffic (the Capitol is smack dab downtown). Apparently he was ushered away by police before I was able to get back for the picture. It was kind of humorous to me...not that I agree or disagree with him...but, you just gotta love free speech.

Now, I have this thing for interesting, useless facts...so humor me as I share a few I picked up during my State Capitol tour.
  1. LBJ did not hold any state offices. He went straight to the federal level.
  2. There are four presidents tied to Texas

    -Eisenhower-who was born in TX but, actually claims Kansas since it was his childhood home
    -LBJ
    -And the Bushs'-the Bushs' are from New England however, as Texans like to say..."They got to Texas as soon as they could."
  3. The offices of governor and lieutenant governor in TX can be bi-partisan since they are on separate tickets.
  4. And the humdinger of them all...when Lady Liberty was replaced (due to wear and tear) on top of the Capitol in the 80's, there wasn't anything big enough to put it up (SHOCK! Something not big enough in Texas???). So, they called on the Mississippi Coast Guard to help them by bringing a helicopter to put the Lady up. Now, the problem with this was that Texas law requires anyone working on the Capitol grounds must be a Texas resident at least six months prior (We all knew Texans were arrogant anyway, right?). Long story short, they granted the Mississippi Coast Guard honorary citizenship in order to get the job done.

After that, I decided against going to the Texas History Museum mainly because there was an admission charge. I mean seriously folks, if I want to hear how great Texas is I can just ask a Texan for free instead of paying for a museum about Texas, Texas, Texas. One wonders if they are so superb to the rest of the states why didn't they just stay their own country? =)

I didn't get to see the bats leaving the bridge at dusk (which is a big tourist attraction in Austin...this should be an indicator at the level of entertainment in town) due to previous dinner plans. However, I did see the big, rotating bat that they have located by the bridge to indicate the spot.

Food for Thought:

  • Saltgrass Steak House-had a delicious steak and shrimp plate...the baked potato and onion straws were mediocre but, the steak was worth it all!! Apparently this is a TX chain as it was in San Antonio as well.
  • Marakesh Cafe and Grille-this place made me feel "at home" (with food from the Middle East)...located on South Congress in downtown Austin. Nice cafe atmosphere, good and reasonably priced food from the Middle East...what more could you ask for???
  • County Line-This is apparently a TX chain specializing in BBQ...it was also in San Antonio...sorry folks, maybe it was what I ordered (Smoked Peppered Pork Sirloin) but, I really wasn't impressed. What was cool though-the restaurant was right on the lake with LARGE fish and turtles swimming right up to the dock due to people throwing food out for them. Also, while we were eating the staff got on the microphone to honor soldiers who had come in to eat...they were going to be deployed soon to Iraq. The entire restaurant stood up and clapped for them. It was a proud American moment.
  • Earl Campbell's Sports Bar-I hit this place in the airport as I was heading out of town...pretty good hot dog. I got the Ann Campbell (chili, melted cheddar, and onion topping). Mmmm!

Although I typically avoid discussing work items in my blog, I did want to state that the meeting I attended in Austin was full of some great people and I had a blast. They were a creative and energized group.

No comments: