Friday, September 28, 2007

Chicago continued...

Okay, so a month or so later is better than never. Notice I managed to get the food portion of my trip up much quicker? Let's see most of my time in Chicago was spent couped up in a training class but, managed to do some fun things on the weekend. Chy and I went to catch an outdoor concert at Lincoln Park, walked around Navy Pier and saw their fireworks (I think they do it twice weekly). Also, went to the Museum of Science and Industry which was great...we did the CSI special exhibit while we were there.

The hostel (http://www.arlingtonhouse.com/) we stayed at was a renovated nursing home north of the the city. It was decent...but, definitely not as nice as some hostels I've stayed at. (Of course, keep in mind I had just spent the week in one of Chicago's finer hotels (http://www.burnhamhotel.com/) during my business trip so, the polar extremes shocked my system, I do believe.) It was tight quarters in the elevator, definitely not for the claustrophobic and seeing that we were on the 4th or 5th floor, dragging our bags up multiple flights of stairs didn't seem the better option.

One night when we came in there were some people in the lounge that offered for us to join their small party. Chy kindly informed them that we were not the drinkin kind. Next morning, when Chy headed first to the ladies shared showers, she was greeted by the not so pleasant aroma of...well...let's just say the drinkin kind got to enjoy their liquor one more time from the opposite direction. Alas, our showers were taken on a different floor that morning. =)

Hotel Burnham on the other hand (right on the corner of State Street...Nordstrom Rack immediately next door, Filene's Basement across the street...) wow, a traveler of my type really shouldn't stay at hotels like this...it is likely to spoil you forever. I'm used to bare essential lodging so, when I come in from a night out on the town with my room curtains closed, lights dimmed, music (which I did not turn on when I left the room) playing softly...Well, it scared the snot out of me. Who was in my room?????? When I mustered up enough courage to make my legs work I also noticed my bedding was all turned back, in addition to chocolate and the TV remote control on my pillow. OOOOoooooooh yea, I've read about hotels like this...this must be how the other half live!

Chy really wanted to see the Broadway show Wicked so, she nabbed some great tickets...we were like on the 10th row I think?? I must say I was somewhat skeptical of the show going into it but, ultimately thought it was a great production (singing, costumes, storyline) with only a couple things that I had issue with in the storyline. I'm glad I got to see it though.

Oh, I guess I did forget to mention one restaurant we went to...the Samba Sushi...somewhat close to Greektown. It was a fusion of Brazilian and Japanese food. We just had to try it because it sounded so unique. Chy got a sushi plate and I got this Brazilian seafood gumbo type dish. One great reason why Chy and I make great travel buddies is that we know what the traveling is all about...FOOD! We have this agreement to always get different items and split with each other to get the full effect of the places we eat at. I need to get paid to be a food critic or something.

No comments: